10 Things We Love: The V-Day Edit
10 Things We Love: The V-Day Edit
We say it all the time—the quality of our relationships determines the quality of our life. While, on Valentine’s Day, we usually equate this with a significant other, what we really refer to is an all-year-round activity. The art and practice of cultivating pleasure for its own sake. Of bringing the qualities of vitality, adventure, playfulness and creativity back into our lives. A sense of humanity and joy despite all odds.
“This life force,” says relationship expert Ester Perel, “is fundamental at all stages and in all phases of any relationship—to yourself or another.”
We’re celebrating the season of love with all that brings home this elemental idea of eros. The logic? Making lists helps to cultivate good habits. And love, in all its unconditional grandeur, is a daily habit: an activity of the present.
“Love is a world itself. Either you are in, at the center… either you are out, yearning.”
Scroll through for a love listicle like no other:
01. WATCH Love & Anarchy, a Netflix rom-com series set in Stockholm, in which a married consultant and a young IT tech kick off a flirty game that challenges societal norms—and leads them to re-evaluate their entire lives.
02. DANCE Or at least sing in the shower as you bop to the tunes of this romantic playlist. It is curated by photographer & creative director Hannah Sider for Axel Arigato, one of our favourite ready-to-wear brands, building a positive platform through the power of community, inclusivity & memorable experiences in a world where examples like these are too few.
03. READ It Ends With Us, a contemporary romance novel by bestselling author Colleen Hoover, that is all the rage: Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up—she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true. Combining a captivating romance with a cast of all-too-human characters, It Ends With Us is an unforgettable tale of love that comes at the ultimate price..
04. GIVE A conscious gift to someone you love—yourself included. With all the Quiet Quitting and endorsement of laziness in today’s burnt out climate, the takeaway we can all agree upon is that rest is powerful. Call us biased, but we like to take it a step further and suggest that knowing how your bedding is made, lends new meaning to the definition of a well-made bed.
05. DINE Like its date night with a celebratory meal that is delicious and decadent. Ever heard the phrase, ‘You’re my lobster?’ This expression can be linked closely to the fact that lobsters mate with only one partner for their entire life, as well as signs of self-sacrifice and loyalty which we could all strive for. Here are two recipes—Lobster Mac and Cheese courtesy Ina Garten and Lobster Risotto courtesy the NYT Cooking—to feed your cravings.
06. SAVOUR For dessert, you can never go wrong with our local cookie obsession, Love & Crumble, whose Valentine’s Day flavour drop is Peanut Butter & Jelly. Order now.
07. CARE Steam, sauna, massage or bubble bath? How about all of the above? Cold weather months especially demand a little extra TLC. Don’t forget to dry off with our luxurious and absorbent 100% BCI cotton Lush Spa towels, whose holistic approach to sustainable cotton production covers all three pillars of sustainability: environmental, social and economic.
08. REMINISCE If you’re looking for an excuse to rewatch your all-time favourite love story, Valentine’s Day is it. From a Julia Roberts starrer to Wong Kar Wai’s In The Mood For Love, snuggle in because you’re spoilt for choice.
09. LISTEN For 18 years, the Modern Love column has given New Times readers a glimpse into the complicated love lives of real people. Since its start, the column has evolved into a TV show, three books and a podcast. Each week, host Anna Martin brings you stories and conversations about love in all its glorious permutations, dumb pitfalls and life-changing moments. New episodes every Wednesday.
10. JOURNAL And last, but never the least, once you’ve absorbed all that’s classic and contemporary on the ever-flowing subject of love, take a moment to process it all through your own feelings and experiences. Whether you’re in a fulfilling relationship or enjoying your solitude, there’s no time like the present to make sure your cup runneth full.
Happy Valentine’s Day, Lovers & Friends 💗